Saturday, February 27, 2010

Color Tiles Lesson Plan

The lesson I chose for this week is Squares Within Squares. This was taken from the manipulative disc. The students are to build a 10 by 10 square and identify as many squares within the larger square as they can. I chose this because my students recently worked on a similar problem but on a smaller scale. They had to find how many square were within a series of three squares that were intersecting.
This lesson requires students to use patterns, problem solve and think beyond the obvious. Some square will be very easy to find while others will be much more difficult. It will also require the students to develop a strategy to record the squares they have found so they do not duplicate squares. I also believe this lesson could engage all the students in my class. It will entice the higher achieving students into solving the problem and also should not frustrate the lower achieving students.

No comments:

Post a Comment